“To know thyself is the beginning of wisdom.” This famous quote is often attributed to Socrates. But what does knowing yourself truly mean and what does it mean for you.
For me, from the hundreds of women I’ve spoken to over the last few years there are many reasons why they don’t know themselves.
They come to me with many reasons, including not being happy in their body, unhappy at home, feeling lost at work and in their business and just feeling like they’re not happy but the there is one thing behind ALL these things.
They don’t truly know themselves, which means they lack confidence, belief and clarity.
So what does truly knowing yourself bring to you? Why do I believe it is so important?
For me knowing myself has made the biggest change in my life. I truly believe I only got to know myself in the last year. And in this year I’ve moved to my dream house, work only in my passion and live a life that is me first.
Why do I believe knowing yourself is so important?
- Happiness. You will be happier when you can express who you are. Expressing your desires, moreover, will make it more likely that you get what you want.
- Less inner conflict. When your outside actions are in accordance with your inside feelings and values, you will experience less inner conflict.
- Better decision-making. When you know yourself, you are able to make better choices about everything, from small decisions like what you want to have for dinner you’ll buy to big decisions like which partner you’ll spend your life with. You’ll have guidelines you can apply to solve life’s varied problems.
- Self-control. When you know yourself, you understand what motivates you to resist bad habits and develop good ones. You’ll have the insight to know which values and goals activate your willpower.
- Resistance to social pressure. When you are grounded in your values and preferences, you are less likely to say “yes” when you want to say “no.”
So now you know the benefits of truly knowing yourself how do you start to get there. Here’s my 5 Foolproof Steps to get start the journey.
1)Take Time to Stop
If you’re always on the go you have NO time to stop. If everyone else is first you’re likely to feel that you’re stuck in Groundhog Day and just to keep going. But if you’re struggling in an area of your life then keeping going WILL NOT work for you.
For example if you’re overwhelmed in your business then keep going won’t work for you. The result = more overwhelm.
So take some time, even 10 minutes over a cup of tea to stop and pause for breathe. Let yourself be and just feel. We don’t solve our problems with the same thinking that created it.
2) Write Down How you Feel
When we write down how we feel we get the opportunity to truly process how we feel and how we are, we get to see the truth and the lies. We make the subconscious stories and feelings come to the surface so we can start to make sense of them. So each day spend some time writing down how you feel.
I recommend the 5 minute journal for all my clients, if you can’t take 5 minutes a day for you there’s something wrong.
3) What do you Stand for and Against
Again once you’ve got used to writing down how you feel start to write down what you believe. What do you stand for … eg what do you truly LOVE, that you would fight for and stand firmly to defend? And on the flip side what really urks you and gets under your skin?
These are you beliefs and they are your framework for your decisions and how you live your life. Many of the reasons for doing what you do are right in here.
4) What are Your Values?
What are your values? Your values will bring you consistency and an anchor in a crazy world, no matter what is going you will always be able to come back to you. So for me, my values are love, freedom and courage, the more I live my life by these the more I feel in alignment and know I’m living my life how I’m meant to.
4) Where are You Right Now?
Are you living in the here and now? Or are you time travelling forward in the future and the what if’s OR going back into the past and going over old painful memories “I wish I hadn’t said that..” Both of these show you are NOT living in the here and now. YOU as you is only in the here and now. To come back to now, slow down your breathing and breath in for 4, hold for 4 and out for 4. To come back to you and the here and now.
Ready to make a change?
If you’re really struggling and need some help but don’t know where to start and feeling a little lost. You can book a FREE Breakthrough Call with Nic, worth £147 here.
30 minutes with Nic herself, to find out why things haven’t worked for you before and get clarity on what you’re goals are.
Like what you’ve read and want to follow us:
Twitter: StrongHer Formula
Facebook: Nicola Buckley, StrongHer Revolution FREE coaching group here.